Chartered more than 25 years ago, the non-profit Boat Ohio Foundation dba Boating Associations of Ohio (BAO) has a long track record of successfully advocating for issues that advance marine businesses and/or increase facilities and opportunities for family boating statewide.
A proven Record of Change.
BAO maintains a full-time lobbying firm in Columbus to monitor all proposed legislation and new regulations that would directly or indirectly impact the marine industry and all Buckeye boaters.
- Successfully worked with Governor DeWine’s team to include Ohio’s marine businesses and boating in general as “essential” services to remain open during the COVID-19 crisis
- Changed Ohio sales tax law so boaters only pay tax on difference between new boat and trade in value (not on full price of new boat)
- Gained an increased share of Ohio’s gas tax for the Waterways Safety Fund
- Increased the time to transfer boat titles
- Lobbied for Clean Vessel Act federal grants to build pump-outs
- Promoted access to Boating Infrastructure Grants to build transient docks
- Advocated for increased Division of Watercraft funds for building new launching ramps
- Improved basic requirements for the proper use of Ohio’s ZZ numbersContinuous monitoring of the Waterways Safety Fund expenditures
- Successfully worked with lawmakers to designate June officially “Ohio Goes Boating” month (only state in nation with designation)
- Successfully headed off multiple attempts to cut off boaters trade-in tax credits and thus increase the sales tax required.
Ohio Boating’s Political Action Committee
Active year around, funds are used to contribute to the election or reelection of state office candidates with a proven record of supporting issues that improve and advance family boating and the industry in the Buckeye state.
BAO is headquartered in the Westlake offices of the Lake Erie Marine Trades Association and the Columbus offices of the Government Advantage Group
1269 Basset Road
Westlake, OH 44145
P. (440) 899-5010
17 S High St Suite 750
Columbus, OH 43215